Can invited users log in using their userid and be restricted to named instances?

Hi,

I would like to invite some new users to access just one of my group’s instances.

To test this, I tried inviting myself to my own group, under an alternate email address. I have received the confirmation email, clicked on the link and created NEWUSERID and NEWPASSWORD, but “ssh NEWUSERID@IPADDRESS” using NEWPASSWORD currently isn’t working.

Also, there doesn’t seem to be any way to restrict access to just one of the instances. Is this theoretically possible?

Many thanks in advance
Camilla

Having a Bryn account gives users the ability to create, stop and reboot instances. Bryn doesn’t interact with instances at all, so the behaviour you described is expected - a users’ Bryn credentials would never allow them to access an instance.

As instances are discrete Unix virtual machines, they have all of the user management tools provided by the operating system. For example, you can add new users to an instance with

adduser

This will give you some prompts and help you create a home directory for the user (default /home/username) and allow you to set a password for them.

Alternatively, if you would like to give someone else access to the ubuntu user’s files, the easiest way is to paste their SSH publickey to /home/ubuntu/.ssh/authorized_keys and then provide them with the IP address of the instance, remembering that they will have access to everything owned by the ubuntu user. They can then access the instance with their privatekey and the username ubuntu.

The only way that anyone should be able to access another instance is if you have given them your GVL password (please don’t do this!), added a new user account or added their publickey to /home/ubuntu/.ssh/authorized_keys.