Finding an attached volume

This is going to be the stupidest question ever, but I have a 4000GB volume attached to one of my GVLs and I want to unmount it however I don’t remember what I called the directory? How do I find where I’ve put it?

Sorry for the ridiculous nature of this issue

Gemma

1 Like

You can use df or lsblk.

df will show you a table of volumes (left column) and their directory mountpoints (right column).

lsblk will list all of the attached block devices (volumes), whether they’re mounted or not, and if they are mounted, it’ll show the directory that they’re mounted at.

Ok so the next issue is I seem to have mounted my volume in /mnt and it informs me device is busy?

Ahh, you might be experiencing a problem that we noticed with some of the early GVL instances. If you reboot your instance, the volume attached as /dev/vdb gets automatically mounted at /mnt.

This is because of this line in the file /etc/fstab:

/dev/vdb /mnt auto defaults,nobootwait,comment=cloudconfig 0 2

The best way to remedy this is to use a text editor like nano to very carefully remove this whole line from /etc/fstab.

This process is:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

*remove line from file using keyboard

Then press Ctrl-x to exit nano, making sure to press Y when asked if you want to save modified buffer, then pressing Enter to save as the same filename as before.

You can then issue a reboot from the command line with

sudo reboot

It will take a couple of minutes for your instance to reboot, then you should be able to ssh back in again.

If you then check lsblk, you should see that /dev/vdb (or /dev/vdb1, depending on whether you partitioned the volume or not) no longer has a mountpoint, and you’re free to mount it wherever you like, with

sudo mount /dev/vdb(1) <mountpoint>

Ah perfect thank you! Knew I shouldn’t have been one of the guinea pigs hahaha

1 Like

Just as you get used to this, we’re planning a GVL version upgrade (to version 4.2) in the near future!

This one will be based on Ubuntu 16.04, and will have various other upgrades and new goodies.

You could start moving your data to attached volumes so that they’re ready to be connected to an instance with the new GVL…