How to run Docker?

Hi,
I would like to be able to run docker on my instance via command line. I had a look at the previous advice on how to start this but I do not understand how to get started. Would someone be able to help me get started please?

Many thanks

(if I type docker version I currently get the following:
docker version
Client:
Version: 17.05.0-ce
API version: 1.29
Go version: go1.7.5
Git commit: 89658be
Built: Thu May 4 22:10:54 2017
OS/Arch: linux/amd64
Got permission denied while trying to connect to the Docker daemon socket at unix:///var/run/docker.sock: Get http://%2Fvar%2Frun%2Fdocker.sock/v1.29/version: dial unix /var/run/docker.sock: connect: permission denied
)

Docker is already running on your GVL instance, but as you can see here, you need to allow your ubuntu user to access Docker.

Instead of editing /etc/groups directly, you can simplify @nickloman’s instructions by running the following command to add ubuntu to the docker group:

sudo usermod -aG docker ubuntu

Then log out and back in again for the change to take effect.

Please note that this only gets you up-and-running with access to the Docker daemon, please ask again if there’s specific software you’d like to run with Docker, or you want to package software to run in Docker.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.