Instance got shelved?

Hi,

I’ve been using my instance pretty regularly, and asked for it to not be shelved back during the big summer shelving. I was using it last week with no problem.

Today I’m trying to use it and it’s shelved - why has this happened please? I’ve selected the “unshelve” option but now it just says its status is “error” (though it does also say it’s “unshelving”, see screenshot below).

I really need this instance - it’s my only one and has literally all my PhD data and code on it (backed up elsewhere, but I can’t face setting up another instance and having to transfer TBs of data onto it, get all the tools I need to work, etc…). Please help me get it working again, and protected from random shelving in the future?

Not sure if it’s OK to share the IP address here but can do if that will help.

Thanks,
Nat

Capture

Oh, I should add, the instance is on Birmingham, and the name is " [Nat_nanopore_essentials_2". Thanks in advance!

Hi Nat
Let me have a look and I’ll back to you.
Radoslaw

Hi Nat
Your instance was shelved by mistake, It should be back on and running.
My apologies.

Radoslaw

Hi Radoslaw

Yes, it’s back up, thanks for your speedy reply!

Just one more problem now - one of my volumes (with the majority of my recent work, some unbacked up) has unmounted whilst it was shelved. When I tried to remount a volume which had been unmounted once before (last year sometime), I lost all my data. How do I go about remounting this volume (screenshot below) without losing everything please?

Thank you,
Nat

Hi Nat.
After a reboot (or unshelving), your volumes will be UNMOUNTED but still ATTACHED.
To remount them, simply run

lsblk

To find the device name (looks like /dev/sdX ), then

mount /dev/sdX [mountpoint]

DO NOT RUN mkfs OR fdisk ON A VOLUME THAT CONTAINS DATA, IT WILL DESTROY ALL DATA ON THE VOLUME!

Tutorial here:

Thanks again for a speedy reply! Two of my volumes are remounted (oddly, those two never actually unmounted) but my third is refusing to remount - /dev/sdc

I’m using the command
sudo mount /dev/sdc /home/ubuntu/storage3

but I’m getting an error message

wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdc, missing codepage or helper program, or other error

This is the same problem biophage was having in this old thread: Unable to remount my volumes after instance stops

Any ideas how to fix this please? Sorry to keep coming back with more problems!

Probably a partition on the disk, do you see something like /dev/sdc*1* in the output of lsblk?

If so:

sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /home/ubuntu/storage3

should fix it.

Unfortunately not so simple!

lsblk

I have just noticed some of my volumes are different types to others: two are gpfs, and two (including one that I’m not using yet) are ceph. One of each stayed mounted when the instance was shelved, and the one which won’t remount now is gpfs. Could that have anything to do with it? They were all working before it was shelved though…

Okay - worth a shot!

We’ll look into this and get back to you ASAP.

Apologies again for the inconvenience.

Thanks a lot, and fingers crossed! :slight_smile:

Hi guys.

I kept playing around, as I figured it was me doing something stupid. And it was! The volume I actually wanted to attach was sdb, not sdc (something funny has gone on with my volume/dev naming at some point…). The volume in question is now remounted and my data is all back!

Thanks for all your help!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.