Issue with connecting to VM

Hi,

Have been having issues with logging into the Birmingham (VM), with the following error message:
#======================
*** System restart required ***

-bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device

-bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device
#======================
Pretty sure there should be sufficient memory left as I have attached 1TB of memory few months ago.

And my supervisor also couldnt log into her Warwick VM.

Would you mind looking into that?

best wishes,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

It does sound like your disk is full. Can you post the output of df -h ?

Can you specify the IP address of the Warwick VM?

Best wishes,
Anna

Hi Anna,

Thanks for getting back. The output of df -h is as following:
#======================
Command ‘df’ is available in ‘/bin/df’

The command could not be located because ‘/bin’ is not included in the PATH environment variable.

df: command not found
#======================

And the IP of the Warwick VM is 137.205.69.151

best wishes,

Stephen

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for posting the IP of the Warwick VM. I’ve passed it on to another member of the team to take a look.

For your VM, can you post the output of:

/bin/df -h

and

/bin/echo $PATH

Best wishes,
Anna

Hi Stephen,

There don’t seem to be any issues with the Warwick VM. Could you or your supervisor explain more about what the problem is? E.g. what is the output of ssh in verbose mode ssh -vv ?

Best wishes,
Anna

Hi Annap,
#====================
The output of /bin/df -h:

Filesystem Size Used Avail Use% Mounted on

udev 16G 0 16G 0% /dev

tmpfs 3.2G 322M 2.9G 10% /run

/dev/sda1 117G 117G 0 100% /

tmpfs 16G 236K 16G 1% /dev/shm

tmpfs 5.0M 0 5.0M 0% /run/lock

tmpfs 16G 0 16G 0% /sys/fs/cgroup

tmpfs 3.2G 0 3.2G 0% /run/user/0

tmpfs 3.2G 24K 3.2G 1% /run/user/119

cm_processes 16G 0 16G 0% /run/cloudera-scm-agent/process

tmpfs 3.2G 0 3.2G 0% /run/user/1000

#====================

Oh and the output of /bin/echo $PATH:

/home/ubuntu/bin:/home/ubuntu/.local/bin:/tmp/yes/bin:/home/ubuntu/perl5/perlbrew/bin:/home/ubuntu/perl5/perlbrew/perls/perl-5.28.0/bin:

There was suppose to be another 1TB attached to /dev/sdb , but it is somehow missing there. The attached 1TB was still available in about 1 week ago …

Regarding to the Warwick VM, my supervisor simply couldnt ssh into the account. When trying to ssh she got network is unreachable error message.

Best wishes,

Stephen

Ok, there seem to be a few issues with your VM.

1). The PATH is messed up. Is your VM a GVL? If so, there are a lot of values missing from your PATH. As a temporary fix run the following to add /bin to the PATH:

export PATH=$PATH:/bin

You’ll need to run this everytime you log in until we determine what has gone wrong with the PATH. Can you then post the output of

cat /etc/environment

2). The root disk of your VM /dev/sda is full. This is why you’re getting the message -bash: cannot create temp file for here-document: No space left on device. If you can, delete some old files to free up some space and this will stop this error.

3). df -h only shows volumes which are attached and mounted to your VM. Most likely, the volume you created is still attached to your VM but not mounted. To list all attached volumes run

lsblk

If your volume /dev/sdb appears in the output list but with no mountpoint listed, then all you need to do is run

sudo mount /dev/sdb [mountpoint]

where [mountpoint] is the directory where you want to mount your volume.

WARNING: Do NOT run mkfs.xfs or fdisk as this will destroy any data you have on the volume!

Thanks.

The output of cat /etc/environment is :PATH="/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games"

And /dev/sdb appeared as the output of lsblk. However, I can’t find the documents previously stored in /dev/sdb/

Best wishes,

Stephen

Did you mount the volume with sudo mount /dev/sdb [mountpoint] ?

Yes I did.

I followed the instruction of the following website (Creating and attaching volumes using Horizon)

Ok, I’ll need some more information to try and determine what’s gone wrong.

Can you post the commands you ran to mount the volume (you can check the previous commands you’ve run using the command history)

and can you post the output of df -h and lsblk

Best wishes,
Anna

Hi Anaap,

Sorry for the delayed reply.

==========================
Couldn’t find the command as the volume was mount more than a year ago. From what I remember the command should be sudo mount /dev/sdb example.

The output for lsblk:
Command ‘lsblk’ is available in ‘/bin/lsblk’

The command could not be located because ‘/bin’ is not included in the PATH environment variable.

lsblk: command not found

The output for df -h:
Command ‘df’ is available in ‘/bin/df’

df: command not found

best wishes,

Stephen

Also if I attach some volume into the VM now, would that interfere with the troubleshooting?

Hi Stephen,

For now, you’ll need to run export PATH=$PATH:/bin everytime you log in as there is a problem with your PATH variable.

It does sound like potentially your volume has become unmounted and you need to mount it again. If the output of lsblk looks something like this, with no mountpoint listed:

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0  120G  0 disk 
└─sda1   8:1    0  120G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0  1T  0 disk

Then your volume has become unmounted and you need to run sudo mount /dev/sdb /home/ubuntu/example again

However, if the output of lsblk looks like this

NAME   MAJ:MIN RM  SIZE RO TYPE MOUNTPOINT
sda      8:0    0  120G  0 disk 
└─sda1   8:1    0  120G  0 part /
sdb      8:16   0  1T  0 disk /home/ubuntu/example

then this tells you the volume /dev/sdb is already mounted at /home/ubuntu/example and you should be able to access the documents stored in the volume by changing directory to cd /home/ubuntu/example

Can you post the name of your VM? I’ll ask one of my colleagues to take a look at what’s happened to your PATH variable.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.