MySQL installation issues

Hi all,

I am trying to install MySQL on my CLIMB volume. Everything seems to go ok until I tryu to start MySQL, whereupon I get this error

ERROR 2002 (HY000): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/run/mysqld/mysqld.sock' (2)

I have tried numerous ways to install MySQL (LinuxBrew, through Deb, and Docker) and it always comes back to this error when I try to start the database. When I look in var/run/ the ‘mysqld’ doesn’t exist, and neither is it in any of the other mysql directories installed on the system in bin, lib or etc.

I’m probably missing something here, so any advice would be hugely appreciated please!

Volume ‘yeo’ in Bham, running a GVL.

Many thanks for your help (as well as for creating and maintaining this fantastic resource!)

Tris

Hi Tris,

I will look into this for you and try to get a fix later today.

All the best,
Sion

Hi Tris,

I have been unable to replicate your issue. I successfully installed and started a MySQL server on a fresh GVL instance following this guide - https://support.rackspace.com/how-to/installing-mysql-server-on-ubuntu/. It seems to be working properly after installation. I would recommend that you start a fresh GVL instance and allow the services to fully build (15-30 mins) before following the instructions in the guide above. Note that you will need to run the ‘systemctl start mysql’ command with sudo. Please let me know if this resolves your issue.

All the best,
Sion

Hey Sion,

Don’t know what went wrong the first time but that’s me working fine now. Thanks!

Tris

No problem, glad I could help.

Sion