Reset cluster password

Hi,

Is there any way to reset the password for genomics virtual laboratory server created in climb?

I know how to reset the password for climb group account (which is through the forgotten password link on https://bryn.climb.ac.uk/user/login/) but can not find way to reset the virtual server password.

Cheers,
Ambi.

GVL instance passwords are immutable unfortunately.

If you have forgotten the password, you will need to start a new instance.

If you have your data stored in a volume, you can simply detach it from the old instance and re-attach it to a new one.

Hi Matt,

If you have your data stored in a volume, you can simply detach it from the old instance and re-attach it to a new one.

There are two volumes attached to the instance. One which was attached by default at the time of creation and another which I had explicitly added. I got data in both of these. If I create a new instance can I attach both the volumes to the new one?

Also I just tried creating a new instance but got the error message “Launching new instances is temporarily disabled for this region (warwick)”.

Thx for your help,

Cheers,
Ambi.

Hi Ambi,

Terminating your instance will destroy the root volume that was added at creation, so don’t do that yet!

Launching of new instances at Warwick is currently disabled because it is pretty full, but we should be able to enable launching briefly so that you can launch a new instance. Please send me a PM to let me know when this would be convenient for you?

The data in the explicitly added volume shouldn’t pose a problem. You can detach this from your instance now, ready to reattach to a new instance later.

For the automatically created volume, please use the “volume snapshot” function in the advanced interface to make a copy of the root volume of the instance that you have forgotten the credentials for. You can follow the guide here (specifically the “Taking a volume snapshot” section).

Once you’ve done this, create a new volume from the snapshot using the “Create Volume” button to the right-hand side of the page. When we’ve created a new instance, you can then attach this volume to extract the data.