Unable to launch GVL dashboard (eg RStudio etc)

I am unable to launch GVL dashboard even though I can still SSH in, but still unable to launch RStudio from the command line.

This is for SSC2 at Warwick.

I initially was directed to the Apache default page.

I have tried rebooting but that did not work. I have tried the commands suggested in another post but I get an error message:

$sudo systemctl stop apache2
$sudo systemctl disable apache2

apache2.service is not a native service, redirecting to systemd-sysv-install
Executing /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install disable apache2
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script apache2' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5). insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of scriptapache2’ overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
insserv: warning: script ‘proftpd’ missing LSB tags and overrides
insserv: warning: current start runlevel(s) (empty) of script apache2' overrides LSB defaults (2 3 4 5). insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 2 3 4 5 6) of scriptapache2’ overrides LSB defaults (0 1 6).
insserv: warning: script ‘proftpd’ missing LSB tags and overrides

Now when I try to launch GVL I get:

Can you please help?

Cheers

This is a recent issue with some GVL builds. Could you start a new GVL and allow the services to build (approx 20 mins). If Rstudio/Jupyter have not built then please reboot the instance and allow a few minutes for them to finish building. Do not update the instance before Rstudio has built. If that does not resolve the issue let me know and I will provide further support.

All the best,
Sion

Sion, thank you for the suggestion, but I am afraid I could not get it to work on the day. I did manage to find a workaround (with the help of someone more in the know about things than me!) by comparing the file structure of the nginx folder between a VM that worked and the one that didn’t. When we copied over the files that were not reset properly after unshelving, I was able to launch RStudio just in time for the students to use on the course I was running on Tuesday afternoon.

Not sure whether this was the best way to go about it, and whether it will cause any problems in the future, but it worked!

Cheers,

Chrystala

Hi Chrystala,

Thank you for your comments. I will look into this next week and try to resolve this for new instances.

All the best,
Sion

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.