Using multiple versions of Java

I would like to use InterProScan as part of a pipeline, the current version requires Java 1.8, but the CLIMB group VM I am using is currently version 9.0.

I have tried to use “update-alternatives --config java” and can select a different java version , but this doesn’t change the version when using “java --version”. Furthermore, “which java” points toward /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/java rather than the paths listed when using update-alternatives. I can’t seem to change this using brew.

I understand that the latest java version that will be supported long term is Java 11, but InterProScan has yet to be updated to work with this…(apparently it is planned but do not know when).

Any work arounds would be greatly appreciated.

Matt

Hi Matt,

If you rename the /home/linuxbrew/.linuxbrew/bin/java file to something else (eg java_bkup) and repeat java --version it should now point to system java. If this breaks anything else you can just revert the file name to fix it.

All the best,
Sion

Cheers Sion! I took an alternative route and changed the path to the java version that interproscan uses (it comments you can do this inside the shell executable).

Cheers

Matt

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.