Ssh connection time out

gvl instance has been launched however when I try to ssh in the connection times out!
And if I try associating a floating IP I do not have any ports to link it to!
What’s going wrong? This is all on the Birmingham node

Could you explain a bit more about what the problem is? Are you using https://bryn.climb.ac.uk to launch a GVL instance?

What is the output if you try to ssh in verbose mode using ssh -vv ?

There is no reason to do anything with floating ips - you should see that your instance has an external ip address. Adding floating ips can break routing and other things, so I suggest you try making a new instance using https://bryn.climb.ac.uk.

If I try ssh -vv I get lots of errors to do with key_load_public and then the connection is closed

I was trying to launch through horizon as it wasn’t working through bryn but I was able to run an instance I had previously on the Warwick node yesterday from bryn

Could you post what those error messages are, perhaps the last 5 lines of output? They might be helpful for diagnosing the problem.

I suspect though that this might have been caused by trying to add a floating ip to a running instance, which has broken its networking completely, so you will have to delete any instances you’ve tried to attach a floating ip to and start again.

What were the symptoms of Bryn not working?

Thanks so much for all your help. It has magically all started working today on the Birmingham node so hopefully I’m all sorted now!
Thanks again

Nice one, glad everything is working for you again!

I’ve just launched an GVL from the Cardiff node and I’m unable to SSH to use it, as the connection times out. I tried ssh -vv and got the following message:

OpenSSH_7.1p2, OpenSSL 1.0.1g 7 Apr 2014
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh_config
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 131.251.130.133 [131.251.130.133] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 131.251.130.133 port 22: Connection timed out
ssh: connect to host 131.251.130.133 port 22: Connection timed out

Oops, my mistake!

This should be fixed now, please let me know if you have any more problems.

Yep all working fine now. thanks!

Hello, I also think i’m having the same problem. Have just launched an GVL from the Birmingham Node and as with the above i am unable to SSH to use it, due to the connection timing out. I have tried the ssh -vv and I receive this message :

OpenSSH_6.9p1, LibreSSL 2.1.8
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 21: Applying options for *
debug2: ssh_connect: needpriv 0
debug1: Connecting to 147.188.173.253 [147.188.173.253] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 147.188.173.253 port 22: Operation timed out
ssh: connect to host 147.188.173.253 port 22: Operation timed out

I’m looking into this for you, I’ll update you as soon as I have more information.

We’ve had a quick firewall rejig and this should be fixed now, apologies for the inconvenience!

All sorted, Thank you very much