Ssh operation timed out

Hello,

I have an instance ‘marjorie’ at Swansea, I had to soft reboot it while I was formatting a volume. Since the reboot I am not able to access the instance. I get the error ‘ssh: connect to host 137.44.59.245 port 22: Operation timed out’.

I have tried ssh -vv and get:

OpenSSH_7.9p1, LibreSSL 2.7.3
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 48: Applying options for *
debug2: resolve_canonicalize: hostname 137.44.59.245 is address
debug2: ssh_connect_direct
debug1: Connecting to 137.44.59.245 [137.44.59.245] port 22.
debug1: connect to address 137.44.59.245 port 22: Operation timed out
ssh: connect to host 137.44.59.245 port 22: Operation timed out

I have tried rebooting again (and waiting several hours), and someone else has tried from a different computer with the same error.

Very grateful for help to resolve this,
Thanks,
Marjorie

Hi,

You appear to have damaged your machine beyond repair while doing the formatting.

It is no longer bootable, you’re going to need to throw it away, spin up a new one and try and attach the volumes to the new in the hopes your data is ok.

Oh dear! I though soft booting was a safe thing to do!
One of the volumes is not mounted, just attached, as I was in the process of formatting it ready to mount.

As a clarification.

Rebooting is always safe, however formatting is a very dangerous operation and can cause data loss if done incorrectly.

This sounds a bit scary - do you think that the volumes that are mounted will be OK when I delete the instance? I don’t suppose I have any choice?
Grateful for any advice,
thanks

Hi Imran,
I am getting there, thanks, but one of the volumes that was attached to the instance that I have deleted is stuck. It says it is attached to ’ /dev/sdb on None’ and when I try to manage attachments there is an error message, ’ Error: Unable to retrieve volume information.’.
Would you be able to set if free so that I can attach it to the new volume please?
It is called collab_2_vol_2
Many thanks,
Marjorie

closed #7

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.